Makkah Proclamation issed by Global Conference “Islam and Counter Terrorism” organized by The Muslim World League Under the aegis of the
Custodian of the two holy mosques King Salman Bin Abdulaziz Al-Saud
Makkah al-Mukarramah 03-06/05/1436 <> 22-25/02/2015
It is near the sacred House of Allah, the place of revelation and the one to which every Muslim turns his head towards it that scholars from around the worldhave gathered. They have come in response to the invitation of the Muslim League World to take part in the world conference on “Islam and counter terrorism. This event is organized under the aegis of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman BinAbdul-Aziz Al Saud. The participants have gathered to discuss terrorism; define it properly, and diagnose its causes to protect the Umma from its effects. These actions have been taken in the aftermath of this phenomenon’s destructive peril, where the image of Islam has been tarnished, and innocent blood has been shed. The horrible effects of this bane have divided the community every which way giving rise to sectarian, ethnic and religious tendencies.Furthermore, the enemies of the Muslim Ummascrambled to target its identity, unity, and resources.
Faced with this imminent danger, thescholars addressed thisfive-messageproclamation to the following:the Muslim community’s leaders, scholars, media institutions and youthand alsoto the rest of the world’s peoples and organizations.This step has been taken under the obligation of providing advice and clarifying the truth, and discharging the responsibility before Allah. The aim of this appeal is to set the community free of its painful reality, and in utter obedience to the Messenger of Allah(peace be upon him) said:
"Religion is the counsel (three times) ... to Allah, His Book, His Messenger, the leaders of the Muslims and their mass."
The first message: the Muslim Leaders:
- Work on the application of Islamic Sharia, and must embark on a comprehensive reform that will achieve justice, safeguard dignity, and uphold duties and meet the aspirations of the peoples. Decent living along with sound and sensible governance must be guaranteed.
- They must maintain Muslim unity, and confront any attempt to divide the Umma based on religion, sectarianism and ethnicity. Islamic solidarity in all its shapes and forms must be promoted.
- Take advantage of the material and moral potential of the nation. Put an end to the waste of human and natural resources to realize an alliance among Muslim countries.
- It is necessary to review the educational programs and curricula, and the religious discourse to realize moderation.
- Conflicts must be solved based on the Quran and the Sunna of the Prophet (PBUH). They must enforce the creation of the Islamic Court of Justice. Muslim governments must implementa law prohibiting fightingamong members of one singlenationbased on religious and sectarian affiliations.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy to dry up the sources of terrorism, in addition totrust building between the nation and its leaders. Championing the nation’s public issues and fighting corruption must be a priority.Leaders must work on reducing unemployment and poverty, and endorsing the rights of citizenship for all constituents of society.
- Leaders must support Muslim minorities in preserving their identity, and protect their interests. Their potential and capabilities should be promoted to enable them to perform their mission, and carry out their duties towards their communities. These tasks must be executed with moderation in understanding and practice.
- Religious and judicial institutions must be strengthened, in addition to supporting its message and its independence.
The second message: Muslim Scholars:
- Preserve the identity of the Muslim Umma and enhance its knowledgeand awarenessto boost its duty to protect the religion and providesound advice to the people. Our Nation must be conscious of its message and shoulddischarge its mission the desired way.
- Muslim scholars must epitomizeproper role model. They should advise and guide the nation and its leaders with wisdom.
- Correct misconceptions, and prevent the nation from suspicions, misleading and malicious trends. Proper religious knowledge must be disseminated in accordance with the teachings of Islam, the guidance of the nation's predecessors and Muslim imams. This must be donefar from extremists’ distorted views, false pretenders, and ignorant’interpretation.
- We must agree on and obey the basic principles. A consensus related to overall issues must be met. At times of disagreement, we must be courteous to each other. The language of apostasy, decadence and innovation in matters of Ijtihad must be cast asidefor the sake of safeguarding the supreme interests of the Umma.
- Coordination between religious sciences institutions must be enhanced to address novel issues by way of collective fatwas. Warning against odd and irregular fatwas must be issued.
- Scholars must boostcontactwith young people, and narrow the gap between them.Dialogue vistas must beopenedand address their inquiries and questions.Thesesteps must be taken with one thing in mind: to inspire moderation approach among youth.
The third message: the Muslim World’s media:
- Bolster religious and national unity within Muslim societies,along withaddressing claims of sedition and sectarianism.
- Media should instill Islamic values and morals. It must refrain frombroadcasting negative material contrary to the nation’s religious principles and established values.
- The Media must ensure the integrity of the news and the purposeful coverage. It must desist from advocating terrorism bygiving it forum to broadcast its message. The media mustalso recognize the significance of the message reaching the world.
- Multimedia should be conscientious in addressing the ills of our nation. It must avoid spreading atypical and misleading views. Instead, it should be involved in diffusing awareness aboutthe inviolability of innocent blood, and the menace of injustice. Above all, it should tackle attempts made to tarnish the image of Islam and Muslims.
The fourth message: the Nation’s Youth:
- Youth must hold fast in the Book of Allah and the Sunna, as well as. They must avoid sedition, division and conflicts. They must shun negligence and excess. Youth should adhere to the principles of Sharia. They have to keep away from shedding innocent blood, and maintain the supreme interests of Umma.
- Confidence in erudite scholars must be unshakable; they must be taken as reference and their rulings must be obeyed. The youth must accept their religious pronouncements without questions. Strong warnings should be issued about pretenders who dare dish out fatwas that deal with the majoraffairs of the Umma.
- Youth must learn their religion and consolidate their belief, and adhere to Islam. They must consider the pros and cons in every matter they tackle, and make sure that the Sharia objectives will be fully met. They shouldn’t be deceived by bright slogans lifted by some parties without support from the Quran and the Sunna.
- Youth must harness their passion and enthusiasm and consider the consequences; they must set their priorities and grasp reality. They should possess a great deal of patience implementingreform. They must realize that attaining goals come gradually, hence, the laws of Allahof change must be observed. Youth must endeavor to tread legitimate ways to do so, and be inspired by lessons from past experiences.
The fifth message: Associations and Peoples of the World:
- Extremism is a global phenomenon; it doesn’t adhere to any religion, in particular, or pledges allegiance to one homeland. However, to accuse Islam is unfair and false.These allegations have been absolutely refuted in the texts of the Quran revealed a mercy to the worlds. It has fought against injustice in all its forms and manifestations.
- Non-religious extremism is the main cause of terrorism, because it induces counter-violence.
- Human values are common natural bonds.Its falsification or forgery won’t be accepted and depleting them of their valuable content won’t be tolerated.
- Battling Islam and promoting Islamophobiais the wrong recipe to a successful fight against terrorism and religious extremism. Success of this campaign lies in cooperating with Muslim states, their scholarsand their institutions.
- Islam has given freedom a highvalue; however, it has linked it to the value of responsibility.Therefore, shan’t be anexcuseto abuse others, and undermine their religious symbols and sacred sites.
- You must realize that we all live in one world, in which our societies coexist. All of us will be affected by what happens within “its walls.” This fact necessitates our partnership in building the human civilization, and strives to achieve our mutual interests.
- The road to rapprochement between people is communication and dialogue, and has become a human necessity. Such step should happen without the superiorityof one party andthe obliteration of the other.
- Tolerance among peoples for what has occurred during history in shortcomings and mistakesaredesirabletraits... However, it should be done without compromising rights, and forgetting about the positive lessons!
- The expeditious administration of justice is based on a standardized unit andstraight balance.
Let us cooperate in what unite us; the common human civilization.Let’savoid hurting each other.
Let us alleviate thestate of transgression and injustice, occupation and dominance. Let’s restore the rights to their owners.Let’s try to be worthy of the human dignity which Allah, the Lord of the Worlds has bestowed upon us. “(Say: "O People of the Book! Come to common terms as between us and you: That we worship none but Allah; that we associate no partners with him; that we erect not, from among ourselves, Lords and patrons other than Allah." If then they turn back, say you: "Bear witness that we (at least) are Muslims (bowing to Allah's Will.)” Sura Al-i-Imran, verse 64
Peace and Blessing be upon our Prophet Muhammad, his family and companions.
Released in Makkah
Islamic World Conference “Islam and Counterterrorism”
06/05/1436 AH 25/02/2015
Download it in pdf